You can donate securely at our Fractured Atlas 501(c)3 account here.
SCHOOL RESIDENCY PROGRAM
IT IS TO BE EXPECTED THAT NOT EVERYONE WILL BE A GREAT DANCER, AND THAT DANCING, OF COURSE, WILL BE EXPERIENCED AS A COMPLETE ART FORM MORE BY SOME THAN BY OTHERS; BUT, AS EVERY CHILD HAS THE RIGHT TO A BOX OF CRAYONS AND SOME INSTRUCTION IN THE FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES OF DRAWING AND IN THE USE OF COLOR, WHETHER OR NOT THERE IS ANY CHANCE OF HIM BECOMING A PROFESSIONAL ARTIST, SO EVERY CHILD HAS A RIGHT TO KNOW HOW TO ACHIEVE CONTROL OF HIS BODY IN ORDER THAT HE MAY USE IT TO THE LIMIT OF HIS ABILITY FOR THE EXPRESSION OF HIS OWN REACTIONS TO LIFE.
MARGARET N. H'DOUBLER
GENERAL PROGRAM OVERVIEW
The Norwalk Metropolitan Youth Ballet, LLC is proud to present our public school initiative, En Pointe. As a leader in the field of arts education, we are committed to serving our community by providing children with learning opportunities that are grounded in the expression of the human body.
As educators, we hold the fundamental belief that all children are entitled to experience the joys and empowerment of mastering their body in motion. All children, no matter their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or financial status, deserve the gift of a dance education. No child will be denied access to this opportunity, even those children with physical, cognitive, or emotional challenges will find their place into this program.
At NMYB we work hand-in-hand with school administrators to create experiences that support the rigors associated with Common Core State Standards and other federally mandated means of assessment. Residency programs stem from the “four A’s:” Awareness, Application, Appreciation and Assessment. Sessions embody the essence of Howard Gardner’s Multiple Intelligence and utilize Bloom’s Taxonomy to ensure the highest level of student comprehension and participation.
As artists we realize that success in dance or creative movement is different for each child. For some, success may be manifested within the physical excursion of the body or the mastery of a new skill. For others, success may be more internal or personal providing a newfound sense of confidence. We invite you to further investigate and support this unique and exciting program.
Please contact us today to learn more about how we can bring the En Pointe Residency Program into your schools.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING AN EN POINTE RESIDENCY:
· Students will experience a creative dance residency lasting anywhere from 3 to 5 days in length for one period a day over the course of two to three weeks. The length of residency will be determined by each school’s principal.
· Students will be instructed in the 7 basic movements of classical dance (plièr, etondrè, relevèr, tournèr, sautèr, glissèr, elancèr).
· Students will build a movement vocabulary that is developmentally appropriate and constructed from pedestrian movements.
· Students will be lead through a series of exercises intended to warm-up the body, strengthen core muscles, and increase overall flexibility.
· Students will be engaged through both command and reciprocal teaching methodologies and will be lead through guided learning exercises.
· Students will be instructed on the fundamental concepts of choreography, stage direction, and stagecraft as well as theater etiquette.
· Students will create individual movement phrases.
· Students will explore themes developed specifically for their residency.
· Students will develop a higher sense of musicality and emotional expression through the use of their bodies.
· Students will be taught to respect their body in relation to space, objects, and people around them.
· Students will perform a culminating piece of choreography based on the residency theme.
· Students will participate in peer-to-peer assessment drawing upon learned vocabulary and principals.
· Students will be empowered to creatively and artistically express themselves in a judgment-free zone.
· Students will be encourage to meet their personal best through one-on-one attention and praise.
· Students will leave with a sense of personal accomplishment and success.